Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa


The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey, #2)The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars


Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


I feel very constricted at the moment, because I don’t know what rating to give this. The story itself was pretty good, and the ending was sweet, but it’s just Meghan… I don’t think I can not take stars away from this book because of Meghan… I did some thinking about it, and figured without Meghan, this book probably would have gotten three and a half stars from me. With Meghan, I’ve come to the conclusion that it gets two and a half stars. I don’t know if that’s too much, and I’m being too generous, or if I'm taking too much from the rating, but that was the final rating I decided. Now, let’s get this review started.



What should I start off with, the good, or the bad? I have a lot to write about the bad of this book, so maybe we should start with the good and get it over with.


What I liked in The Iron Daughter:


1: First, I’ll say that I’m team Puck. I don’t think that will change, no matter what. Despite this, I did like Ash a lot more in this book. I really didn’t like him too much in the first book, and I thought he was a total ass. I think it was really smart of Kagawa to expand on the backstory of Ash and Ariella’s love, and how she showed that Ash still kept Ariella’s belongings, and that he really, truly loved her.


2: The kiss! Not between Ash and Meghan, I’m against that relationship, but between Meghan and Puck! While I think Meghan only did it because she was lonely and Ash wasn’t there, I was still really happy for Puck. He deserves some happiness, after being there for Meghan for so long, and then one boy comes along and tries to kill Meghan and she loves him instead. How could you not feel bad for Puck in that situation?


3: Puck. In a tux. ‘Nuff said.


4: Grimalkin! I love you Grimalkin, you’re awesome, witty and funny. I better see more of you in the other books or I will not be a happy camper.


5: I like how Ironhorse became a central character in this book, and that Kagawa managed to make him likable. (view spoiler)[I was really upset when he died. That scene was pretty deep, with Meghan giving her condolences. *wipes away tear* (hide spoiler)]


That’s it for the things I liked in The Iron Daughter. Now, moving onto the things I didn’t like (and the things I hated). It might get ugly. Fangirls/boys may want to turn away. Especially if you like Meghan.


What I didn’t like or hated in The Iron Daughter


1: Bella Swan Meghan Chase





Oh, wait… I may have to break that down for Meghan.


I’m. calling. you. stu-pid.


Do I have to speak slower, or did you get that, Meghan?


Oh, but you're not just stupid. You're also selfish. And whiny. And obsessive. And naïve.  And so freaking pathetic.


Do I need to go on? Because I can.


My question to you, dear, dear Meghan is, why go for the boy who wants to kill you, and was insulting you throughout the whole 25% of the book. And let me tell you, Ash's "I'm treating you like crap because I have to because I don't want to look bad in front all my all mighty mother" is not a good excuse. It's a horrible excuse. And when he does this you don't just cry over the fact that he might not love you like you love him, and that he used you. You slap him silly! (And, odds are, no men are going to love you as much as you loved Ash in such a short amount of time. Take this advice, Meghan. You're only going to scare more men off). Sure, you went all “I hate Ash”, and “Ash is a heartless, arrogant bastard. I hate him.”, but none of that counts if, in the next page, you’re declaring your undying love for him. Also, when someone says the word "Prince" to you, don't respond with, "What prince? My prince?". He's not your prince. You don't own him, even though it seems you think the contrary.


With all her whining and obsession over a boy wanting to kill her, I felt that Meghan became the Bella Swan of the fey. I was certain she was the Bella Swan of the fey after she thought this:

Sometimes I dreamed that Ash was in my room, standing in a corner or beside my bed, just watching me with his bright silver eyes.


....Wait, what?




Then she starts doubting herself, blaming herself because she thinks Ash hates her, and I just wanted to shake the living crap out of her. Does it matter if he hates you? You should really be focusing on the biggest task at hand.

Ash despised me. Everything he'd said and done was to bring me to his queen. He was a cheat. He'd used me, to further his own ends. And the saddest part was, I still loved him.


You're right, Meghan. That is pretty sad. At least you can admit it.


But then, Meghan, you got all jealous. You couldn't take the fact that Ash still loves his dead girlfriend, and the fact that he mourns over her and thinks of her constantly. I think this might have been the point where my hatred for Meghan truly formed. It sickens me to think that Meghan was deliberately trying to get in between Ash and Ariella's relationship, and that she was jealous of his mourning over her. I didn't know someone could be so shallow until I read that.


My hatred of Meghan pretty much expanded from there, especially when she went with Ash and left Puck. I can't even describe how bad I felt for Puck. (like I mentioned earlier in the review, he's always been there for her, and the fact that she's siding with a boy who's tried to kill her on multiple occasions must've hurt).


The many stupid decisions of Meghan Chase eventually led to a school dance, where she met up with Scott. You know Scott. The boy who took a picture with Meghan and photoshopped it into a naked picture and sent it to the whole school in book one? I was so happy when Meghan saw Scott there. I thought there would be some slapping, some cursing, some defending herself...



 
  What the hell was I thinking?
 



I mean, seriously. We're talking about Meghan Chase. The Bella Swan of the Fey. I don't even know why I got my hopes up in thinking she'd stand up for herself and pour punch on Scott, or something like that. To be honest, I would've been happier if she just passed him by and sent him an evil glare, but seriously? You're going to have a dance with the freaking kid? And he doesn't even remember who you are? You can seriously let what he did to you go and dance with him? I was just... I couldn't even believe what I was reading. I know Meghan was stupid, of course, but I didn't know she was that stupid. Still longing to dance with Mr. Popular, I see. Nothing's changed.


And then she sees Ash flirting with some girls and starts crying, at which point I was laughing at how pathetic she was. You're not even his girlfriend, stop crying. It doesn't make me feel empathy towards you, it only makes me laugh at you.


I won't be starting The Iron Queen right away; I think I need a break from Meghan's stupidity for a little bit. I'll be back, though, and I will continue and eventually finish this series. If Meghan's as stupid in the other books as she was in this one, it won't be easy.


But, I guess this is our goodbyes, Meghan. I'll... miss you...





View all my reviews



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!