Showcase Sunday (2)


Hi, everyone! Hope you all had a great week (in general and with books). This week I got fourteen books, eight of those books being galleys. So, let's get this Showcase Sunday started, shall we?

Galleys

Okay, I got a lot of Galleys this week, probably the most I've ever gotten in one week. I'll start off this Showcase Sunday with a book I've been dying to read for a really long time now, and I thought all hope was lost when Random House didn't respond for a few months. That book is...

Velveteen by Daniel Marks! Like I mentioned above, I've been dying to read this book for a really long time, I'm so happy I was accepted! I mean, come on. A 16 year old girl got killed, so she haunts her murderer to the breaking point. It's going to hopefully be awesome. 

Also in my mailbox this week is Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier


I'm really shocked I was accepted for this, because I've heard that Random House was on a decline rampage for this book. I look forward to starting it, even though I'm not much of a fantasy fan, but it still sounds pretty good. "Shadowfell is a captivating tale of peril, courage, romance, and survival.". Shadowfell, don't disappoint. Please. 

Next up for galleys is Touched by Cyn Balog


   

I'm not sure about this one, though. I honestly don't even remember requesting it. I'll probably read it, but it hasn't gotten very good reviews. In fact, it got so many bad reviews, that the author, Cyn Balog, made a blog post complaining about the bad reviews (or something of the sort). I wish I could find the original blog post, but sadly, I think Balog deleted it. If anything, I'll read this just to see if it's as bad as so many people say it is. 

The last of the galleys sent to me by Random House this week is Flutter by Gina Linko.


This is a book I also forgot I requested at NetGalley, and it was a pleasant surprise when I checked my email to see that I was accepted! It's gotten pretty good reviews so far, and it also sounds pretty good! 

That's it for galleys sent to me by Random House, but there's still four more galleys I got from other publishers!

I'll start the non Random House galleys I got with Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown


When I got the email that I was accepted to read Lies Beneath, I was so happy. It's gotten mixed reviews (mostly positive), but the concept of murderous mermaids in Lake Superior? Hell yes! I plan on starting this really soon, and I can't wait. I'm reading Monstrous Beauty right now, and it's awesome, so if, when I'm done, I'm craving more mermaids, this'll be the book I go to. 

Another book I'm really excited to read that I got this week is Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.










Code Name Verity has gotten numerous five-star reviews, so when I saw this on NetGalley I requested it immediately! And, to make it better, it's auto-approve! You can possibly be declined, so go! Request it, quickly! This may not last long. (Also, which cover do you like better? The one on the left, or the one on the right?). 

This week I also got A Blood Seduction by Pamela Palmer


I'm not really in a rush to read this, because I'm not in a vampire mood, and I don't think I will be in a vampire mood for a while, but when I am in a vampire mood, this book'll be here. It's gotten pretty mixed reviews from reviewers on Goodreads, but it still sounds interesting. However, I checked out Palmer's other books, and it looks like she writes a series of erotica novels, so I'm just hoping she doesn't incorporate erotica into this book. Although I think there will be some erotica, considering the title has the word "Seduction" in it. 

Lastly, I also got Timepiece by Myra McEntire, which is book two of the Hourglass series.


This is another book that is auto-approve on NetGalley, so snatch it up, quickly! That might not last too long! I got the first book from the library and I plan on starting it soon. I hasn't gotten very good reviews from my friends, so I don't know if I'll like it. It sounds pretty good, but the main character supposedly obsesses over one of the main male love interests a lot, which irritates me. But, on a good note, I'm obsessed with this cover. I am in serious love with it. 

Well, that's it for galleys I got this week, but there's still the library books I got, the books I bought and the book that was gifted to me!

Library Books

I only got two library books this week, and both of them haven't gotten the best reviews. I'll start off the library books I got this week with Hourglass by Myra McEntire


Hourglass is book one of the Hourglass series, which is mentioned above. I plan on starting this one pretty soon, so I could get started on Timepiece (if I still want to read Timepiece when I'm done with this. It hasn't gotten the best reviews). Once again, I love this cover. McEntire needs to keep her cover artist, because both the covers of Hourglass and Timepiece are stunning. 

Next up for library books is Wildefire by Karsten Knight


I don't know what to think of this. It has gotten mostly negative reviews, and, from the reviews I've read, the main character has some serious anger issues. I don't know if I would be able to relate to a heroine with such anger issues that so many people had to mention it. However, I plan on starting this soon. I'm also in love with this cover, too, as well as it's sequel, Embers and Echoes, which is released on August 28th, 2012. 


Books Bought

I bought two books this week, too, and I can't wait to read them. They both sound extremely awesome, but they both got decent reviews, so I'm hoping I like them!

The first book I bought this week is Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers


Grave Mercy has gotten some criticism for being boring at times, but I really couldn't resist the concept of assassin nuns. I look forward to starting it soon, I just hope it's awesome. But come on, how could a story about assassin nuns not be awesome? Exactly, it can't. 

Next up is Glimmer by Pheobe Kitanidis


I've read in a lot of reviews that Glimmer starts off great and mysterious, but eventually loses track of the main plot and spirals off into little crazy sub-plots that never get fully answered. I still look forward to reading this, despite all of that. It may be something that takes away from the story, but who knows, I may still like it. Glimmer is described as a young adult version of Pleasantville meets The Stepford Wives

Books Gifted to Me

This week, an amazing friend of mine bought me a book I've been dying to read for a really, really long time. Wanna know what that book is? It is... 


Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake! I don't know how long I've been waiting to read this book, but I know it's been a while. I can't wait to start this, since I am a huge fan of everything horror, and I've heard this is a really creepy book.

Well, that's it for week two of Showcase Sunday, thanks for reading! What did you get in your mailbox this week? Comment the books you got in the comment section below!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!