Coming Attractions: Premeditated

Coming Attractions is inspired by The Perpetual Page Turner's Save The Date, both in concept and format. Coming Attractions showcases a book that is not released for a while that I've read, and gives you a sneak peek for what I thought about the book, since I can't post the review until closer to the release date.

Premeditated
Josin McQuein
Series: None
Release Date: October 8th, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Number of Pages: 336
Rating: 4.5 stars

Add to Goodreads
A week ago, Dinah’s cousin Claire cut her wrists.

Five days ago, Dinah found Claire’s diary and discovered why.

Three days ago, Dinah stopped crying and came up with a plan.

Two days ago, she ditched her piercings and bleached the black dye from her hair.

Yesterday, knee socks and uniform plaid became a predator’s camouflage.

Today, she’ll find the boy who broke Claire.

By tomorrow, he’ll wish he were dead.

A few days ago I finished the absolutely fantastic Premeditated, but since it's released in October and I can't post my full review for a while, I figured I'd give you all a little sneak peek as to what I thought about it!


Why You Must Get Your Hands on Premeditated

Although it may not be as revenge-focused as the synopsis would lead you to think (and the revenge aspects are similar to that of John Tucker Must Die, but more high school-related and serious), this book is absolutely and utterly fantastic. The character and relationship development is truly outstanding, and the writing is often times entertaining and funny, even though the novel itself is focused on very serious topics. The writing in Premeditated made the reading experience feel even more personal and real than it normally would have been, considering the fact that we're in Dinah's head as everything is going on, and we are experiencing the same things she's experiencing as she experiences them. 

As well as that, there is the incredible relationship building, which I really can't say much about, but it truly is outstanding. The relationship between Dinah and Claire is one of the most touching and powerful relationships I've read in YA, which is saying something considering the fact that Claire is unconscious throughout the entirety of the novel.

And then there's also the mystery aspect and revenge aspect to Premeditated, which, like I'd said earlier, isn't exactly the main focus of the novel, but is the driving point for the conflicts (which are brilliantly developed) and the relationship development. And while I did have a feeling that the ending would be what it was, that didn't make it any less affecting and emotional and shell-shocking for me. 

Recommended For: 

I recommend Premeditated to anyone looking for an incredibly powerful read chocked full of  an incredibly plot, brilliant conflicts, and impressive character and relationship development. While I do predict some slightly polarizing opinions on this one come October for... reasons..., I absolutely adored Premeditated, and I am able to say that I have no negative things to say about it, and that by the time I post my full review, my rating will likely be the full five stars. 

Just In Case You Needed More Convincing:

"Marry me. Or date me. Or whatever other arrangement will get me another look at your, um ..." His attention dropped from my face to my chest. 
"Unmentionables?"
"Yes. Pretty unmentionables, and maybe matching other unmentionables." 
Dex was such a drain. And he was totally blocking all my attempts with Brooks. Their brains must have been cross-wired.
"You don't have to beg."
"Really?" His eyes lit up, and I'm not entirely sure I didn't see drool.
"Sure. Walmart. Women's underwear aisle. I usually shop off the end cap."

**

Maybe evil didn't look like the half-mangled ghoul in a slasher movie. Maybe it didn't come with any sort of obvious sign that screamed "Run from me or I will destroy you." Maybe it came in designer clothes, and worse the face of a friend because the slow fall paid off better in the long run.

(Quotes were taken from uncorrected proof. Also, don't worry--the second quote does not contain any spoilers, even though it might sound like it does.) 

You can read my full review closer to Premeditated's release date. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!