Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour


Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
Morgan Matson
Series: None
Release Date: May 4th, 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Rating: 3 stars
Word Rating: This book? Meh.
Reviewed by: Melanie

Add to Goodreads

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

 'It’s not about the destination. It’s getting there that’s the good part.'

I think I deserve a medal for reading a 343 paged novel in less than an hour. No joke. I really did. Well there were many pages of images and souvenirs but then I read a 300 paged book in less than an hour. For me personally, that's big. And I can pretty much say I knew exactly every single detail from start to finish.

From saying that, I'd like to point out two things:

1: This book is superbly light, entertaining and a perfect summer read. While not awfully convenient since I read this on a rainy Winter's day but it was a heart warming novel that kept me attached just enough. There are a few 'deeper' issues intertwined but peppered. There is the grief for the MC, Amy's father's death.

2: This book is a book you want to read if you feel like a dumbass that can't predict endings (refer to my Prep School Confidential review), it will make you feel good that you can actually fortune tell something. Insanely predictable plot wise, this made me skimming around a few words on the page (which is a contributing factor to my quick read).

The characters were a touch too depthless and superficial but easy to deal and follow through with. The romance here is basically the opposite if instant love. The way the romance branched out seemed a little too gradual and frustrating. While not angsty and all hinty, I had urges to want it to pick up pace. Overall, sweet and genuine.

I have a little disagreement with the title here. Apart from it being so, un-creative, what's with the EPICness? In my view, this wasn't an EPIC read, more or less EPIC detour. It was fun, cute and yeah. Fun and cute, nothing else really. Apart from the mini subplot of Amy dealing with grief and loss. Which was pretty fascinating, Matson uses the same technique of flashbacks as in Second Chance Summer, chronologically to the fatal event which builds a soft anticipation span here.

Having not read many road trip novels, I did not know what to really expect, however this was an entertaining ride despite a few bumps along the way.

4 comments :

  1. Woah, go MELANIE! How on earth do you read this so fast? OMG, I suck at predcting endings as well so this will be great for my self esteem. Though I heard that the romance build up was insanly slow, not really liking the sound of that. :/

    Fantastic review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book. It was definitely a fun, light read (although it did have the serious issue of Amy dealing with the death of her father). I don't know if I would characterize the romance as slow given they were only in the car together for about a week (and Roger had his own stuff he had to work through). If it were faster, it probably would have been labeled as insta-love! :) I loved the image and souvenirs scattered throughout the book, along with Amy's journal entries. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you crushed this one if you read it that quick! I have it, one of my best blogging friends sent it to me as a gift. Have been meaning to read it for AGES. Too bad it wasn't as epic for you as the title implied, but I'm glad it was as easy, fun read!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've EVER read a full length book in less than an hour. *hands Blythe a medal*

    Despite this being not without flaws, and quite predictable too, I'm glad that you thought it was entertaining. Sometimes a light summer read is all I'm after.

    Great review, Blythe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!