Coming Attractions: Tandem

Coming Attractions is inspired by The Perpetual Page Turner's Save The Date, both in concept and format. Coming Attractions showcases a book that is not released for a while that I've read, and gives you a sneak peek for what I thought about the book, since I can't post the review until closer to the release date.
Tandem
Anna Jarzab
Series: Many-Worlds, #1
Release Date: October 8th, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte BFYR
Number of Pages: 448
Rating: 3.5 stars

Add to Goodreads
Everything repeats.

You. Your best friend. Every person you know.
Many worlds. Many lives--infinite possibilities.
Welcome to the multiverse.

Sixteen-year-old Sasha Lawson has only ever known one small, ordinary life. When she was young, she loved her grandfather's stories of parallel worlds inhabited by girls who looked like her but led totally different lives. Sasha never believed such worlds were real--until now, when she finds herself thrust into one against her will.

To prevent imminent war, Sasha must slip into the life of an alternate version of herself, a princess who has vanished on the eve of her arranged marriage. If Sasha succeeds in fooling everyone, she will be returned home; if she fails, she'll be trapped in another girl's life forever. As time runs out, Sasha finds herself torn between two worlds, two lives, and two young men vying for her love--one who knows her secret, and one who thinks she's someone she's not.

The first book in the Many-Worlds Trilogy, Tandem is a riveting saga of love and betrayal set in parallel universes in which nothing--and no one--is what it seems.

Tandem is a palindrome of sorts--it starts off fantastically, then it soon gets into 'really good' territory, then it gradually recedes into 'average' territory, then it goes back up into 'really good' territory, and ultimately ends fantastically.

It's where the novel reaches the 'average' territory, however, where Tandem clearly met most, if not all its faults. Tandem offers readers with an incredibly unique, well-fleshed out (mostly), and creative perspective on parallel universes and realities, and I can say with certainty that this take on parallel universes is truly unlike anything I've ever read before. For some readers, the novel may be a bit slow to start, and maybe even a bit confusing, but from the first page I was absolutely captivated by the characters (the little romance--however brief--in the beginning of the novel is so sweet, guys), and soon enough the novel had me feeling practically all the feels--anger towards a particular character, betrayal because I found that particular character charming and adorable, and mostly I was in a state of absolute wonder as I was introduced to the intricate world Anna Jarzab has formed.

That very world, however, I feel is not met with a whole lot of development or world-building, and that, next to the pacing towards the middle of the novel, is probably the biggest fault I feel Tandem has.

I'll expand on this all later on in my full review (ha, I feel like I'm leaving you all off on a cliffhanger), but in the end Tandem was a well-written novel with good characters and a refreshing and complex take on parallel universes, and I look forward to reading the sequel.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!