Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Cinder
Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #1
Released: January 3rd, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Rating: 4.5 stars
Word Rating: I know, finally
Reviewed by: Blythe

Add to Goodreads

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


So, I finally read Cinder. Does this mean I could sit at the cool table now? It totally means I could sit at the cool table now, right? Because it should helped that I absolutely loved it, too. Despite all the hype, I had very little knowledge of what Cinder was actually about--other than that it was about a cyborg Cinderella. Which is more than enough to get anyone's attention, I think. But other than that, I knew absolutely nothing; I saw the little blurbs for the other novels in the series, and saw that they took place in France, the desert, and on the moon, respectively, and I was honestly so confused as to how that could possibly be tied together into one coherent plot.

Brilliantly, that's how. As I'm writing this review, I've already finished Scarlet and plan on starting Cress as soon as I wake up tomorrow, but the amount of thought Marissa Meyer put into this world and her characters is staggering, evident, and above all, impressive. Cinder, the eponymous MC, is badass, and just as relatable as a cyborg could get. (Which, as it turns out, is a lot.) Soon into the novel I was fully engaged in Cinder's character (because I love her for all her insecurities and badassery) and story, and was extremely engaged in Meyer's world and the fantastic world-building she brings forth in Cinder

There is a lot going on in Cinder, and a lot of it had occurred before the novel really begins, so Meyer had a lot to introduce us to in her world and of course, had to do so without it feeling like info-dumping. I'll admit that at times I felt some portions of the world-building were info-dumps and a bit awkward, but as a whole, I was really impressed. We've got a massive plague wiping out people across the globe, an entire race of moon people and their tyrannical (read: absolutely terrifying) Queen Levana, and all of the political aspects between Queen Levana and the Prince of New Beijing, Kai. So there is definitely a lot to establish as an author and take in as a reader, but Marissa Meyer does it with a deft hand so that it never feels truly overwhelming. 

Also, the side characters are just amazing--from love interest and all-around-awesome Kai, to the adorable Peony, to the absolutely wonderful Iko, to the again, terrifying Queen Levana. They're all really well formed/developed and all have their own distinct personalities, which isn't something you can always say for side characters in other novels. (Although admittedly many of the above characters are a bit more than side, really.)

I don't think there's much more to say about Cinder, because I'm pretty sure most of anyone who would be reading this review has read the novel already, and surely you know how awesome it is. The writing is strong, the character and relationship development are delightful, and the world-building is spectacular. Developing shocking plot twists may not be Meyer's forte, exactly (even though I'm not sure the twists in Cinder were intended to have a great amount of shock value), but I can say with a good amount of certainty having read also Scarlet that pretty much everything else is. 

But again, most of you already know that. And if you don't, you should definitely get on that. You're seriously missing out.

16 comments :

  1. Yay! I am so excited you love this series. Meyer is a genius at weaving together sci-fi and the classic fairy tale stories. Love so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I am so excited to start Cress today. Apparently it's the best in the series so far.

      Delete
  2. Hahah I just read this for the first time, too, just this past month! :) Whatever, we're late to the game, but at least we're not missing out entirely. And now, we don't have to impatiently wait for most of the sequels like everyone else did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's definitely an added benefit. ;) But we do have to wait a while for Winter like everyone else. Have you read Scarlet and Cress?

      Delete
  3. *makes room for you* You're more than welcome to sit at the cool table! I agree on everything - especially your mention that shocking plot twists aren't Meyer's strong forte. I loved the book, nonetheless! Great review, Blythe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! And yeah, I saw pretty much all the twists in Cinder and Scarlet coming way ahead of time, but I think it's more about seeing how the characters get there than the shock of the twist itself.

      Delete
  4. YAY!! I love seeing people finally read CINDER who haven't picked it up yet. Now is a GREAT time to be getting into the series, what with CRESS just out and everything. It's one of my absolute favorites. I'm so glad you loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought! I could just binge read the first three books. :)

      Delete
  5. Yay! We can sit at the cool kids table together!!!! I'm so glad that you liked Cinder and Scarlet. Cress is amazing, and it's even more evident on how much thought Meyer put into this series ahead of time. So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooooo! I can't wait to get to Cress. Unfortunately, I did not start it today. All the sad.

      Delete
  6. Alright, you have convinced me. I've been thinking about this one A LOT lately, and debating whether or not it's for me, but I think it is time to just go for it! I think I will pick up a copy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay! I'm so happy to hear that. Be sure to let me know on Twitter or something when you start it and if you end up liking it! I'll be really curious to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  7. You can't sit at the cool table until you finish Cress. lol totally kidding :P But seriously, read Cress, it's really good :D
    The world building in Cinder is absolutely amazing, which is why it's one of my favourite series (bit of a world building nerd here lol). SO much thought goes into it- have you had a look at Marissa Meyer's website? There's even a backstory to the Lunars and other random things on there.
    haha I totally agree, the "shocking" plot twists were quite predictable, so much so that it was like Marissa actually wanted you to see them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I haven't read it yet (I KNOW) but your review makes me want to kick myself for not having done so yet. And I guess I can't sit at the cool table, story of my life, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, *contemplates empty space at cool table currently holding my purse*

    But my purse! Where will I put it now?

    Ugh, fine. You can sit, but you have to take the horse head off, not because it isn't quite becoming, but because I can't hear anything you're saying and it all comes out sounding like vague whinnies.

    Heh. I loooove the way the series travels around and everything. Also, Cinder is my favorite of the heroines, though my turncoatish friends like Cress best. I cannot recall if you are also a turncoat. *eyes you*

    IKO IKO.

    Lol lol lol. Yeah, plot twists don't really happen in the first two, but I think Cress gets less predictable, because they get less and less focused on the fairy tale. The first two are fairly direct retellings, but the Rapunzel part only takes up like a quarter or so of Cress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The author may have put a lot of thought into her world, but (for me) it didn't come across on the page. I thought the world-building was kind of weak... and the characters even weaker; it's like I read a totally different book than everyone else. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion on this one, but I honestly don't understand why. Why do people love these books so much?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!