Review: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins


Rebel Belle
by Rachel Hawkins
Series: Rebel Belle, #1
Released on: April 8th, 2014
Publisher: Putnam Juvenille
Rating: 3 stars
Word Rating: Perfectly fun
Reviewed by: Mel

Add to Goodreads

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

This was one of the books I read during my blog hiatus so I technically wasn’t planning on reviewing this until today when I had a sudden urge to spill all my guts out about this book. Rebel Belle is pure fun. Chick-lit slash fantasy, it’s perfect in the sense that it’s quick and easy to get stuck in for a summery day and you’ll fall in love with the main character. She’s awesome and no one can deny it.

Harper has everything and she knows it. She’s got a hot boyfriend, does well at school, has the bestest of best friends and is captain of everything there is to be captain of at her school. But her perfect life takes a dip in the deep end all because on the night of Homecoming, she forgot her lipstick. If she hadn’t forgotten her lipstick, then she wouldn’t be Paladin, protector of her childhood enemy, David Stark.

Harper was an amazing narrator. I loved her sass and girlish personality, which was always nice for a change. We’re normally always presented with a kick-ass, blood thirsty female protag; and let’s be honest, that’s just getting boring. But a Southern Belle? Hell yeah! Furthermore, it’s really refreshing to see the roles changed for once—a girl protecting the boy. It does remind me of Disruption by Jessica Shirvington where the girl introduces the boy into the foreign, hidden world.
I picked up the nearest weapon I could lay my hands on: a stapler. I lifted it, going for ‘menacing.’ I admit it lacked a certain elegance, but hey. It was worth a shot. David placed his hand on my arm and pushed it back down.
“What?”
“Just... that’s embarrassing for all of us,” he replied.
There is quite a large romantic focus in this book, and unfortunately it is a love triangle. I thought Harper’s boyfriend, Ryan was really sweet. He wasn’t the typical jerk boyfriend that I expected to see. In many books, the author tends to make the current boyfriend look like a total ass so they can snap that relationship off and get the main character with the other guy but that doesn’t happen here. Ryan is genuinely a charming boy and the author doesn’t taint that. As for David, he was just as sweet, but nerdy sweet. (If you must know, yes, there is a difference.) David and Harper never got along as children, and their feelings towards each other had not changed since. Well… not until now.
He and I had loathed each other since kindergarten. Heck, even before that. Mom says he’s the only baby I ever bit in daycare.
If you want a good time and some pure awesome characters, I highly recommend Rebel Belle. While the plot wasn’t as strong, it was witty and humorous enough for me to be kept entertained. I’ll definitely be picking up book 2 when it comes out.

6 comments :

  1. Ugh, love triangle. I still kind of want to read this one though. Nice review!

    Erin @ The Book Nut

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, this book was just a lot of fun. The quotes you used had me laughing all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL i've heard a lot of mixed things about this one but the humour has me wanting to read it-badly! I loved the quotes you used! I may have laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked this one up from the library. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though this one had a love triangle, I had so much fun reading this one that I didn't mind! I loved the snark and banter in this one.
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this! Seems like it's a lot of fun :)

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!